A QUESTIONABLE CHANGE OF PLANS

MY VOLUNTEERING JOURNEY 

As August comes to an end, I can't help but recall the bold move I made to change career last year, due to personal and professional reasons. It was in a week like this that I drafted and redrafted my resignation letter to the Headteacher. I knew that I needed a very strong reason, but my only reason to her at the moment was I needed to work with a Non Government Organization. I had thought about it for a whole year, did an interview with World Vision Uganda, and was still applying. Despite being an influential Class Teacher for a semi-candidate class, she painfully let me go.


And my new journey started...

After a painful wait of a month and a half, I landed myself an adventurous Volunteering opportunity with Save the Children. Am sure you are wondering how I could leave a full time job for a volunteering opportunity?! I knew what I wanted, and volunteering with an international organization would give me the experience I needed to join the impactful Humanitarian or Development sector.

Working on an Inclusive Accelerated Education project in Palorinya Refugee Settlement was the most interesting kind of work I had ever done. Yes, I loved and still love classroom teaching, but this was a thrilling experience. It was both challenging and fulfilling. Each new day with its challenges and accomplishments. Each new day unfolded new learnings and lessons. I grew professionally and personally,everyday. For I was mentored, challenged, exposed, shaped and trained by the environment, SCI staff and Colleagues.

I passionately enjoyed every bit of my work!


Within a short while, the application I had placed with International Citizen Service  (ICS) yielded results. I attended the 'rare' interviews on Assessment Day at Hotel International Muyenga. While I  expected the nerve breaking interviews, I was surprised to have group hands on activities, group discussions, conflict resolution activities, and a one on one interview! Great breakfast and lunch were served to us, I had my transport from Moyo refunded, and it was a day!

As the project with Save the Children was closing, I already had myself a placement  with one of the most reputable organizations in Uganda. I confirmed that I was indeed blessed. Thus, the new year 2020 saw me on a new more exciting journey as Team Leader for VSO/ICS! I, and my team mates got extensive training on Conflict Management, Team building, Communication Skills, Leadership skills, Facilitation skills, Safe Guarding policies, Cross cultural working etc. All I can say is we were trained and thoroughly prepared.

During placement, I led a team of 12 UK and Ugandan volunteers to create long term solutions to fight poverty through empowering 7 youth groups to gain Entrepreneurship skills for sustainability. We also helped communities address issues affecting them through Community Dialogues. Radio talk shows were organized to sensitize the larger communities, as well as Community Action Days.We supported the Vocational institute we were affiliated with with Computer lessons, an Exchange Visit and Career Fair.

Posing for a picture with Team mates during a Community Health Day.


However it has not been an all smooth career change journey. I've had to be so patient, resilient, decisive, adaptable. I have been judged (by a Ministry of Education Commonwealth Scholarship panel and other people) , as to why I could leave teaching to volunteer, and yes, the thought of teaching again has crossed my  and mind so many times.

But I am so rooted in working with and for communities, empowering other youths to overcome daily challenges, Training other youths on the skills that I have learnt over time. It is fulfilling for me. Creating a difference in others as I grow myself. I transform with each day I touch another person's life, my network is steadily growing globally. I have friends all over the world, for I embarked on being not just an Active Citizen, but a Global Citizen.

As young people, have you thought of doing more giving than receiving? Yes, we all need as much money as we can get. That's why we apply for the 'six figure jobs'. However, the benefits of volunteering are in the long run more weighing.

Look out for my next blog post as I share with you what I have achieved from my Volunteering journey! Stay safe!






 

Comments

  1. Waoh you Journey is so amazing and inspiring.
    Continue with the good work and I'm so glad and happy that I get to share a platform with you.. hope to learn from your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waoh you Journey is so amazing and inspiring.
    Continue with the good work and I'm so glad and happy that I get to share a platform with you.. hope to learn from your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waoh you Journey is so amazing and inspiring.
    Continue with the good work and I'm so glad and happy that I get to share a platform with you.. hope to learn from your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nancy! I look forward to learning from you too.😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting read, may you continue to inspire more 👍🏽

    ReplyDelete
  6. It takes heart to do the giving than recieving. May God bless u. And you are a good writer. Continue inspiring the youth.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE UNWAVERING SPIRIT OF VOLUNTEERING

MAINTAINING A GOOD MENTAL HEALTH DURING THIS COVID-19 PANDEMIC

THE ROAD THAT LEADS TO NOWHERE